Ancient theater of Dodoni

The ancient theater of Dodoni in Epirus is one of the largest and best preserved ancient greek theaters. The capacity of the theater is 18,000 spectators. The theater of Dodoni was part of the Panhellenic sanctuary of Dodoni and was constructed in the 3rd century B.C. by King Pyrros of Epirus (297-272 B.C.) who wanted to decorate the areas of his kingdom with architectural monuments and buildings. At the same time the small theater ancient Amvrakia was constructed. The hollow of the theater of Dodoni was placed at the foot of Mount Tomaros in a natural cavity to take advantage of the sloping terrain, which was the usual practice in the construction of ancient greek theaters. The orchestra of the theater is not a complete cycle and has a larger diameter 18.70 m.

The theater suffered successive disasters, reconstructions and formations in the centuries that followed the decline of the kingdom of Epirus and during the Roman conquest was used as an arena. From the 4th century AC ceased to function. The first excavations and restorations of the ancient site of Dodoni began in 1875 and continue until today. nowadays the theater of Dodoni hosts some performances during the summer months. The ancient theater Dodoni is located 22 km from Ioannina.