Cave of Perama

The cave of Perama is one of the most important caves in the world. It is located 4 km from the centre of the city of Ioannina and it is already known from the beginning of the last century. In 1940, residents used it as a shelter to escape the bombings of Italians.

In 1945 the known speleologists Anna and Ioannis Petrochilos carry out the first scientific mapping of the cave. It belongs to horizontal caves with a length of routes about 1 km. It has wonderful natural beauty, thanks to the formations of stalagmites and stalactites, the variety and combination of colors.